Saturday, December 13, 2014

12/13/14 (and now 5 days until break time!)

It is one thing to read inspiration and feel empowered in the quiet moment of reflection, as I did last Sunday. It is another thing to live it when back at school on a Monday-Friday work week. There's the 20 kids always staring at you. It's the to-do list lengthening and then a fieldtrip is thrown into the week. Then colleagues are too busy to notice you might need help. However, now that it is Saturday, I can say I survived the week and can even say it ended on an upbeat.

But, yes, this job is hard. So much in the classroom is coming at you fast, so many professional demands on top of that, and then in December, there's the additional personal to-do things associated with Christmas. So glad that the school system builds in a break and this year, it is a nice, long break - 16 days!!

Best Part of this Week:
* My writing team gave me flowers, saying they appreciate me on a day I was trying hard to just tread water; teachers need friends! It is the best when they are teammates!
* I created a checklist and reflection sheet for the kids to use to reflect on their essay work; I could do it so quickly thanks to the new spiral Pathway Writing book. I love the pictures that they added to the checklist words. It is much more user-friendly.
* I taught with my co-teacher to model how to plan and practice for the Monday Publishing Party. So great to have another adult to do this work with. And I think the kids are ready. Monday is going to be fun!!

Things I could have done without:
* I didn't realize I accidentally left my wallet at school until I was at the Post Office trying to mail letters that were time-sensitive 40 minutes before closing.
* A fieldtrip and change in schedule during December...we are creatures of habit and it adds a bit of stress to have the schedule change.
* A document needing to be completed by yesterday at midnight for the administration. Then realizing that much more than an hour after school on Friday was needed to complete it.  And now on Saturday, realizing the draft I started yesterday isn't even in my dropbox. Guess I better start and finish it now.

So again, a week of ups and downs. I am reminded that when unfortunate things occurs, it is my  chance to practice humility.

Humility (adjectival formhumble) is variously seen as the act or posture of lowering oneself in relation to others, or conversely, having a clear perspective and respect for one's place in context.

C.S. Lewis writes: "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less."

I do hope I can be less annoyed by little annoyances and instead, think about how to help others...my students, my friends, and especially my family. I have a great model of this in my mom. When I didn't have my wallet with me at the Post Office, I called her and she gladly met me at the Post Office and spotted me a $20 so I could get the task done. It really is OK to ask for and receive help. It really is OK to try to be humble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment